Monday, June 2, 2008

Talent Show!










The last person from the Talent Show! party left just a few minutes ago. It was AMAZING!! more than I could have expected, thought of, or imagined. I was nearly moved to tears or laughter at every single moment. The people came together & the musicians did their thing- it flowed soooo easily. Everyone enjoyed themselves & we connected.
Breakdown of the goings-on:
The guests:
George, Empress Andrajennique, Cassendre, Christina, Trevor, Tiffany, Debra, Kei-Chi, Julian, Karen, Aaron, Juan, Nana, Ronzil, Roger, Erica & Allison

A huge thank you again to Christina for organizing this & taking the lead! She kept me on the right track and kept this party going!

The pot-luck part:
Christina made phenomenal chicken wings & potatoes, the leftovers are doing my taste buds well!
Roger brought salad, potatoe salad, biscuits & plantains, deliciously made from mom.
I contributed son-in-law eggs, Thai corn fritters, mint Newman's own-type oreo cookies (very tasty, thanks Paul!) & sangria. My mom gave me a great idea to decorate the bottle. So I put it in an orange juice container w/red coral beads, leaves, & cucumber slices & froze it - pulled it out & it looked stellar! I asked my mom for advice on how to run the show & was so inspired by her knowledge & insight. It really let me see her as a person w/a lot of business skills, not just my mom. That in itself was great :)
Kei-Chi did decorations & pulled the place together with her amazing skills! Thank you!!!!
Cassendre contributed enough chips to keep everyone munching away.
Debra made tasty rice & beans!
Julian brought great dumplings.
George brought wine & beer.
I think that covers it, if I forgot anything let me know!

The Talent Show! musicians:
Karen, Aaron & Juan started off the show by playing beautiful songs, the ones you want to hear while you're in a hammock on a beach; soothing & soulful
Trevor put together great electronic remixes: one was an Obama speach & the other was Soul II Soul - people got talking about the election & want to buy his tracks!
Nana & Ronzil sang & played guitar together beautifully to move the soul!
George played the guitar & sung harmonies & melodies at the same time. He & Karen joined forces for a great cover of Easy like a Sunday Morning. It got us all to chime in. Everyone agreed he is amazingly talented & a true professional. He also shared his spirit and opened up to let us in. That was beautiful!
Cassendre sang & played guitar while George accompanied her on his lap drum. Her voice is just astonishing! Touching songs that get down deep & move the spirit, it brought me to tears. She also sang an affirmation song, it begins: I absolutely love my life, everything gets better all the time.
Empress Andrajennique sang two songs - one was a get-down-with-your-bad-self gritty song that got me on the dance floor within seconds! the other was about being a mother & being sexy - both of which she accomplishes very well.
We then had a dance party to finish off the evening.

Early in the show, Empress requested that we hold hands for a moment to become cousins, so we are all connected & accept everyone as they are. And we did, and we did & we did! We laughed, cried, ate, danced, sung, played & lived. The inspiration flowed from the room. I handed out candles to the guests as a souvenir to keep their creative spark alive & thriving. I cannot give enough thanks to every single one of them & everyone I've met in this world to bring this moment together. It is stellar :)
An important lesson I learned from the show, the project, & my life is that I am part of the world, a great part of it. I am from everywhere & touch everything, as is everyone around me. In high school I quoted Pink Floyd's lyrics for my inspirational senior page. Today, I find I have not changed, I am the same person as I always have been: "And all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be."

One of the musicians, Aaron, asked if we can have this every week, a gathering of talent. Life generates itself in many ways & creativity, love, & friendship are my favorite ways to live. The Talent Show! shall go on, again. :) I am so grateful to be alive.
As Empress left she told me to take care of myself, love myself as I did everyone in that room. I put my feet up, placed cucumber slices on my eyes, and curled into bed. I made some calls & set adrift to sleep.
A word of living I got from her last night: how does one get from A to B? Be in A until you get to be in B. ... simple, easy living...
You can check my other site also.

No comments:

Post a Comment