Tuesday, August 1, 2006

a nite amongst the palms

perhaps i am a child. a man i had never met before a short time ago read me like a book - i believe he is the only one who fully understands me, and that he did in just about 40 minutes. words were not exchanged at first. the dj played brazilian music and my body began to move. it was the first time i had really danced since angie's birthday nearly 5 months before, and that day i had someone i wanted to dance with, but instead danced with perhaps my best partner- the lady i just spoke of.
that nite in almunecar was different. i was alone, on my own & loving the freedom of being surrounded by people i did not know, a language i did not fully understand, and fully immersed in enjoying the rhythm of the music. my body moved - feet, legs, hips, shoulders, arms, and hair. i started yet another dance party. soon the people got off their chairs that were seated amongst palm trees. they laughed, smiled, and moved. it was a perfect nite.
a man dancing near the bar held a pipe. his body was atune to everything. i asked if i can take a foto. he stated yes but he wanted to take mine first. i am not sure what he shot b/c i was still dancing- hopefully he caught my glee. after the foto we spoke for a little. he said he hadn't seen anyone dance that well besides an african woman friend he met years ago. i told him i loved to dance - music was my life. it is the one thing i fully flow with. ...stating it here makes me certain that my life must flow along those beats- no medicine, no education, nothing without the beat.
he told me that i had the heart of a child but was ever-so mature. that i did not live in the here-and-now but somewhere in-between the past and the future. that my mind flows like the music, he can see it. i was grounded. it seems as if he came from somewhere so far away to tell me where i was (like ziggy in quantum leap). we shared names of books and music. we exchanged numbers and we were going to exchange a book, but it did not happen. i walked out and he stood from his seat blew me a kiss and said "have no fear, we will meet again." these words have been spoken before, by 2 other men that have strolled into my life. it is a strange occurrence. each time i think i have met them before. but each time they are completely different and teach me a new lesson. they teach me more in 40 minutes that others teach me in years...

No comments:

Post a Comment